"In many ways, a lawsuit is a battle. When I take on a case, I become the aggressor. I battle with the defendant, the defense attorneys and their insurance company. I do this by forcing them to provide the discovery we need to prepare our case, including getting the depositions of all pertinent witnesses and obtaining the necessary evidence that will prove our case at trial.
It is equally important to prepare my clients for litigation. I always take time to make sure that they are adequately prepared to present themselves in the best possible way at depositions and in trial.
Preparedness and execution - that's how to bring litigation to a successful conclusion."
Brilliant and probing are two words used to describe Jay Winckler. He examines each aspect of a case until he has found the winning piece that others have failed to see. Always head and shoulders above the crowd, Jay received a full academic scholarship as a Presidential Alumni Scholar at the University of South Dakota, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa and then proceeded to another academic scholarship from the University of Texas Law School, where he got his law degree "with honors". He is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Certification as a trial specialist in Personal Injury Trial Law.
Jay brings intelligence and persistence to the practice of law and that has made for a successful combination. Jay's success has allowed him to represent people from all over Texas - McAllen to Amarillo, Texarkana to El Paso.
With an emphasis on medical malpractice, Jay Winckler takes his outstanding legal skills and translates it into his clients' success.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1981
- Honors: Cum Laude
- University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota
- B.A. - 1978
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Phi Eta Sigma
- Texas, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (A Woodward White, Inc. Peer-Review Publication)
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers (A Woodward White, Inc. Peer-Review Publication) for Medical Malpractice – Plaintiffs, Austin, 2019 and 2021
- Listed in Texas' Best Lawyers (A Woodward White, Inc. Peer-Review Publication)
- Super Lawyer (A Thomson Reuters Service), 2003, 2011 - 2012 , 2014-2020
- "AV" Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- VerdictSearch’s Top Texas Verdicts of 2010 - (Janice Temple v. James Hansen, MD; and Angela and Robert Gibson v. Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.)
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Gibbins, Winckler & Harvey, LLP, Partner, 04/1984 to 03/1997
- American Association for Justice, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Travis County Bar Association, Member
- Capitol Area Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1998 to Present
Certified Legal Specialties
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Medical Malpractice
- Veteran's Administration Medical Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice Involving Military Defendants
- Pharmaceutical Negligence
- Defective Products - Medical/Pharmaceutical
- Motor Vehicle Accidents Defects
- Federal Tort Claims
- Dog Bite Cases