Sadly, despite all of the advances that modern medicine has made, birth injuries are all too common in this country, with tens of thousands occurring every year. How they happen – and what can be done in the aftermath – depends on the specifics of the circumstances. Furthermore, if you live in Texas, you may have certain legal options to seek fair compensation for the injuries incurred by you or a loved one.
How do these injuries happen?
- Inadequate care leading up to the birth itself, as such care may have noted preventable complications.
- Failure to appropriately monitor the health of the mother and child, thus potentially noting when changes needed to occur.
- Failure to order a caesarian section, thus potentially averting additional complications.
- Supervisory failure, meaning that the doctor who was managing the birth did not appropriately monitor those below him or her, thus failing to intervene when inadequate care was being given.
- Pushing too hard on the child when the child was born, potentially leading to other injuries.
What happens if my child is injured during birth?
Individuals who are knowledgeable in this field note that you have a variety of options. One is to find an attorney who understands the specifics of birth injuries and knows how damaging they can be.
Come prepared with as many documents and details as possible. They may be able to tell you whether or not you have viable legal options against the doctors or hospital system in question. Remember, if you or someone you love is injured during childbirth, you have rights and options.